The Covered Bridges of Lane County, Oregon
Office (aka Westfir) Covered Bridge
Lane County in western Oregon is home to 20 covered bridges, making it the largest concentration of these bridges west of the Mississippi. The bridge shown here is the Office, or Westfir, Covered Bridge. It is Oregon's longest covered bridge at 180 feet.
So why is it named the Office Bridge? A large lumber mill was on one side of the river. The Westfir Logging Company headquarters and offices were on the other side. The orginal bridge was washed away in a flood in 1941. The Company rebuilt the bridge in 1944 so that logging trucks could cross the river to the mill from National Forest Development Road 19.
This covered bridge is the only one west of the Mississippi River that has its own pedestrian walkway. The lumber mill burned to the ground in the early 1980s. In 1992, Lane County acquired the bridge through a tax foreclosure.
Today, the single-lane bridge and pedestrian walkway lead to a small park. The park is popular with mountain bikers as the launching point to North Fork Trail #3666.
The traffic is much lighter than it was in its hey day, but the Office Bridge is built to last for many decades to come.
HOW TO GET THERE: From Interstate 5 take Highway 58 east towards Oakridge. Just before entering Oakridge, near milepost 31, turn west onto Westridge Ave. Continue to Westfir on County Road 6128. Travel about 2.5 miles to the mill site, community and bridge.
Rick Obst is an Arizona native who moved to Eugene, Oregon in 2005 and fell in love with the verdant Pacific Northwest. He enjoys photography and discovering the many people, places, and events that make this part of the world so special.
To learn more about Eugene, Lane County, and western Oregon, visit 365 and More Things to do in Lane County, Oregon on Facebook. You'll see hundreds of pictures and links to discover the beauty and attractions of this special area.